Staying Connected at Home
Our Neighborhood Tech Connect program helps people use computers, tablets, and other technologies to connect with family members, manage their health, learn new skills, and more. This is even more important than ever when we’re all spending much of our time at home. Our digital literacy trainers are reaching out to students by phone, email, WeChat, and Zoom to offer as much help as we can while keeping everyone physically distanced. We offer services in Cantonese, Mandarin, Spanish and English as detailed below.
Neighborhood Tech Connect: Free and Low-Cost Internet Access and Devices
The keys to digital inclusion are access, equipment and training. Many of the older adults and people with disabilities we work with don’t have the resources to afford internet access or devices at home. Community Living Campaign is setting up San Francisco older adults and people with disabilities with tablets, Internet access, and training. To find out if you qualify, contact us at email@example.com or 415-821-1003, ext. 109.
Virtual Tech Classes and Help Desks
Not sure how to use Zoom? Want help reaching your doctor or family? Need tips on how to use social media? Our friendly and patient tech trainers are here to help!
- Mondays – 9:30-11:30, 10:00-12:00, 10:30-12:00, 1:00–3:00, and 2:00-4:00
- Tuesdays – 10:00–12:00, 10:30-12:00 (Mandarin), 2:00-4:00 (Android devices), and 1:00–3:00
- Wednesdays – 10:00–12:00 (Mandarin), 1:00–3:00, and 3:00–5:00
- Thursdays – 9:30-11:30, 10:00–12:00, 1:00–2:30, and 3:00-5:00
- Fridays – 9:30-11:30, 10:00–12:00, 1:00–2:30, and 2:00-4:00
- Saturdays – 1:00–3:00
More Chinese-Language Activities
- Singing Class in Mandarin with Cantonese Interpretation
Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:00-4:00
- Qigong in English with Cantonese Interpretation
Mondays 4:00-5:00 and Fridays 2:30-3:30
- Audio Only: Listen in on any of the English-language Tech Help Desks by dialing in over the phone: 888-475-4499 (toll free) or 669-900-6833 (local) and enter the Meeting ID: 872 1940 7561 ##. There will be a “waiting room” until the Zoom class starts at its scheduled time.
- Video & Audio: Watch & join any of the English-language Tech Help Desks by clicking this Zoom link and completing registration: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87219407561 . There will be a “waiting room” until the Zoom class starts at its scheduled time.
- You don’t need to pre-register for classes ahead of time; just register 10-15 before class start time.
For each of the classes below, click on the title (purple bold text) to be taken to the specific class series.
Apple Help Desk, Mondays 10:00am-12:00pm
Join Peter for skilled & patient assistance with your Apple devices. Although these sessions will focus on mobile devices like the iPhone & iPad, much of the information shared in these materials can be applied to Mac desktop & laptop computers as well. Bring your questions! The same lessons are taught on Thursdays, but using a different rotation of sessions. Click the Zoom link above to join the classes, and click the links below to view and/or download copies of the class materials for each week’s session.
- Sept 12th – Session 2: Apple ID & Websites
- Sept 19th – Session 3: Apps & Settings Part 1
- Sept 26th – Session 4: Settings Part 2
- Oct 3rd – Session 5: Settings Part 3
- Oct 10th – Session 6: Settings for Third Party Apps & Voice Activation
- Oct 17th – Session 7: Passcode, Touch ID & Face ID
- Oct 24th – Session 8: Communicating on Your Device
- Oct 31st – Session 9: The Camera & Photos App
- Nov 7th – Session 10: Mail App & your Email Address
- Nov 14th – Session 11: Searching the Internet with Safari App
- Nov 21st – Session 12: Productivity Apps Part 1
- Nov 28th – Session 13: Productivity Apps Part 2
- Dec 5th – Session 14: How to Troubleshoot & Reset Your Device if Needed
- Dec 12th – Session 15: Other Useful Apps & Websites
- Dec 19th – Session 1: Welcome to the iPhone & iPad
Internet Safety Help Desk Tuesdays 10:00am-12:00pm
Join Peter to learn about Internet Safety & Security – find out new tips & tricks with personalized help. Each week covers a different aspect of keeping yourself & your personal information secure, while also answering individual questions. Click the links below to view and/or download copies of the class materials for each week’s session.
- Sept 13th – Session 3: Backing Up Your Information
- Sept 20th – Session 4: Malware & Computer Viruses
- Sept 27th – Session 5: Fake or Misleading Information on the Internet
- Oct 4th – Session 1: Email & Passwords
- Oct 11th – Session 2: Wi-Fi Networks & Your Personal Info
- Oct 18th – Session 3: Backing Up Your Information
- Oct 25th – Session 4: Malware & Computer Viruses
- Nov 1st – Session 5: Fake or Misleading Information on the Internet
Zoom Help Desk Tuesdays 2:00-3:30pm
Join Peter to learn about Zoom – find out new tips & tricks with personalized help. Each week covers a session within the overall topic of Zoom, while also answering individual questions. Click the links below to view and/or download copies of the class materials for each week’s session.
- Sept 13th – Session 1: Signing in with the Right Platform for You
- Sept 20th – Session 2: Basic Meeting Controls
- Sept 27th – Session 3: Audio & Video Settings
- Oct 4th – Session 4: Accessibility & More Settings
- Oct 11th – Session 5: Zoom Etiquette & Troubleshooting
- Oct 18th – Session 6: Virtual Backgrounds & Video Filters
- Oct 25th – Session 7: Hosting Your Own Zoom Meeting
- Nov 1st – Session 8: Using Zoom for an Interview
- Nov 8th – Session 1: Signing in with the Right Platform for You
- Nov 15th – Session 2: Basic Meeting Controls
Android Help Desk Wednesdays, 3:30pm-5:30pm
Join Peter for skilled and patient assistance with your Android smart phones & tablets. Feel free to drop-in with your questions; each week the class discussion will be built around what topics, inquiries or problems are brought up by the students. Also, feel free to drop-in just to learn from silently listening to the questions other students bring with them. All skill levels are welcome!
Apple Help Desk, Thursdays 3:30pm-5:30pm
Join Maia for skilled & patient assistance with your Apple devices. Although these sessions will focus on mobile devices like the iPhone & iPad, much of the information shared in these materials can be applied to Mac desktop & laptop computers as well. Bring your questions! The same lessons are also taught on Mondays, but using a different rotation of sessions. Click the links below to view and/or download copies of the class materials for each week’s session.
- Sept 1st – Session 12: Productivity Apps Part 1
- Sept 8th – Session 13: Productivity Apps Part 2
- Sept 15th – Session 14: How to Troubleshoot & Reset Your Device if Needed
- Sept 22nd – Session 15: Other Useful Apps & Websites
- Sept 29th – Session 1: Welcome to the iPhone & iPad
- Oct 6th – Session 2: Apple ID & Websites
- Oct 13th – Session 3: Apps & Settings Part 1
- Oct 20th – Session 4: Settings Part 2
- Oct 27th – Session 5: Settings Part 3
- Nov 3rd – Session 6: Settings for Third Party Apps & Voice Activation
- Nov 10th – Different Class! Bring Your Apple Questions About Any Apple Device!
- Nov 17th – Session 7: Passcode, Touch ID & Face ID
- Nov 24th – ** No Class: Thanksgiving **
- Dec 1st – Session 8: Communicating on Your Device
- Dec 8th – Session 9: The Camera & Photos App
- Dec 15th – Session 10: Mail App & Your Email Address
- Dec 22nd – Session 11: Searching the Internet with Safari App
- Dec 29th – ** No Class: Holiday Break **
Virtual Help Desk Fridays: Topic Help 11:00am-12:00pm, General Questions 12:00pm-1:00pm
Enjoy patient teaching and learn fun practices for online use with Molly and Liz, with an emphasis on Accessibility. The first hour covers the topic, while the second hour is open for all questions.
In September and October 2022 we will learn about photos: using different applications and storage options.
- Sept 9th – Photo Sharing
- Sept 16th – Photo Albums, Galleries & Storage
- Sept 23rd – Photo Sharing
- Sept 30th – Photo Photo Review
- Oct 7th – Phone Photography, Intro
- Oct 14th – Photo Sharing
- Oct 21st – Photo Albums, Galleries & Storage
- Oct 28th – Photo Sharing
One-On-One Tech Help Appointments in English, Cantonese, Mandarin, and Spanish
Our tutors can also provide one-on-one help in multiple languages. Just call 415-821-1003 x109 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment. To get the best match with one of our tutors, please let us know your preferred language, the device you’re using (Mac, PC, Android Tablet or Phone, iPad, or iPhone), whether you have Internet access at home, and what you’d like help with.
Explore the Online World
Learn new things online and be entertained while waiting to resume your regular activities. First stop, our blog post on Fun (and Free) Things to Do from Home.
Learn lots of things you can do online through this simple site with links to all kinds of resources, including info on how to use Skype or Zoom for video chats, free online games, movies and much more. Two popular destinations are GFCLearnFree.org and TechBoomers.com, where you use this time to learn how to do so much more online with a computer, tablet or smartphone.
And don’t miss the San Francisco Public Library! They have a robust range of digital services that give card holders 24/7 free access to ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, movies, classes, music and more. It is all available for free with your library card.
If you have a permanent or long term disability that prevents you from visiting the library, you can sign up for Library Access from Home. You can get your library card, use online resources, and borrow things via mail.
SF Connected Computer Labs
Due to Covid restrictions, CLC is currently offering dozens of free computer classes and tutoring each month online via Zoom. This includes classes to help people use accessible technologies for those with vision, hearing and other disabilities. Click HERE to see our Events Calendar.
We also are now offering one-on-one training/tutoring in our office, by appointment only. For more details, contact our tech team:
By phone: (415) 821-1003, x109
By email: email@example.com
Other SF Connected Sites
As part of the San Francisco Department of Disability and Aging Services’ SF Connected Program, Community Tech Network, Self-Help for the Elderly and Conard House also have computer training and specialty classes. For more information on free classes, call (415) 355-3555, visit the SF Connected map, or see the SF Connected class schedule.
In addition, the San Francisco Public Library has expanded the number of computers in its branches and you can book time to use computers or to get help accessing information on-line. For a list of branch libraries with computer access, go to the San Francisco Public Library web site and search for Senior Computer Classes on the SFPL events page.