Low Cost Internet Access
Being connected to online information and technology is increasingly essential for so many aspects of our lives and well-being. Yet San Francisco seniors and people with disabilities are less likely than other residents to have Internet access at home. The price of internet service is one of the reasons residents cite.
- Comcast Internet Essentials Senior Pilot
- Comcast Internet Essentials for Families & People with Housing Assistance
- Affordability Connectivity Program
- Access from AT&T
Low Cost Computers, Tablets, and Smartphones
- PCs for People Refurbished Laptops & Desktops
- Low Cost Computer with Comcast Internet Essentials
- The Best Budget Laptops for 2023
- The Best Tablets for 2023
Technology Training and Access
The third piece of closing the digital divide is ensuring that seniors and people with disabilities can get the training they need. A 2014 Pew research study found 77% of seniors 65 or older want someone to help them use a new digital device, and 56% want someone to help them learn how to use social networking sites. Helping participants over these hurdles can be extremely effective. The same study found that many seniors who do learn how to use their devices and go online became regular Internet users, with 71% going online almost every day, and 11% going online three to five times a week.
- Community Living Campaign Classes – virtual classes and one-one-one tutoring at 1663 Mission Street and other locations
- The San Francisco Department of Disability and Aging Services’ also have computer training and specialty classes:
- San Francisco Public Library Computer Classes– – computer classes and much, much more!
Adaptive technology offers many ways to empower and increase access for people with disabilities. Yet residents need to be aware of the options, have access to adaptive devices, and receive the training they need to use these technologies effectively.
- Ability Net: My Computer My Way
- Windows Computer Accessibility Features
- Apple Computer Accessibility Features
- Android Tablet Accessibility Features
- Apple Tablet Accessibility Features
- Low Vision Apps
- Apps for Hearing Loss
- Independent Living Resource Center
- LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired
- Hearing and Speech Center of Northern California