Everyone who works or volunteers for CLC should follow the CLC Code of Conduct, even when it is hard or uncomfortable. It applies both in the office and in other places where we represent CLC. To create a welcoming space for all, we also expect everyone–including neighbors and community members–to follow this Code of Conduct while they are participating in CLC activities and events.
Community Living Campaign Code of Conduct
Community Living Campaign values the people who work for and with us. We are working to create a place where we all feel included, respected, and welcome. We believe kindness, mutual respect, accountability, and empathy are at the heart of strong communities.
Invite Everyone to be Heard
- Listen with an open mind. Ask “Can you tell me more” to better understand each other’s’ point of view. Show others that you hear them, even if you don’t understand or agree.
- Invite conversation. Don’t speak for others. Avoid dominating a meeting or conversation.
- Be open to learning about others’ cultures and accept differences.
Treat All with Kindness, Respect, and Compassion
- Honor privacy and confidentiality. Avoid gossip such as discussing people’s personal matters without their permission.
- Don’t blame or shame yourself and others
- Respect others’ time by arriving at meetings on time. Try to answer people within one work day. Avoid expecting people to reply outside of their work hours.
Act with Integrity
- Know that even when you mean well, it may not feel that way to someone else. Take time to listen and let them know you have heard their reaction. Avoid immediately explaining or defending your actions. It’s okay to ask for time to come back if it’s best to respond later.
- We will all make mistakes. Keep learning and trying to do better. Keep trying on new ideas and ways of doing things. Try not to judge yourself or others.
- Keep your word and tell people in advance if you can’t meet an expectation.